Hidden Gems: 3 Magical Experiences Found in Fish Creek
Oct 10, 2018
Door County is a place of adventure. Wineries, boat cruises, festivals, and countless other attractions abound within our sensational stretch of land between Lake Michigan and Green Bay.
But for each of these popular points of interest, there are abundantly more hidden gems to be discovered, which often require straying from the beaten path of our picturesque peninsula.
Come experience a few of the simple, magical aspects that have made Fish Creek, Door County an ideal place to relax and recharge for generations.
Hidden Gems You’ll Only Find in Fish Creek, WI
1) Champagne Rock Lookout
For those in pursuit of a special place to take your romantic partner, Champagne Rock is a must-see.
Located up on Cottage Row just south of downtown – a lovely drive or bike ride in its own right – this local hidden gem offers stunning water views.
Park your vehicle, stroll down the stone steps, spread out your favorite picnic blanket, and appreciate the beauty of the epic boulder hanging fast to the shore with the one you love.
After all, it’s known as Champagne Rock for a reason.
2) Village Parks
Sunsets, seagulls, sailboats, and swooshing waves set the scene of our peaceful village parks that line our vibrant downtown. Why not spend some time in them all?
- Fish Creek Town Park – just off Highway 42, you’ll enjoy 27-acres of wooded walking trails featuring small ponds, a gazebo, and beautiful scenery.
- Clark Park – the perfect place to sit on a bench and watch the boats in the harbor, this single acre square of pet-friendly fun is located on the corner of Maple and Spruce St. between Alibi Dock and Malibu Moo’s.
- Sunset Beach Park – with access just west of Main St., this hidden gem is one of the best places to watch the sun dip below the horizon in all of Door County. Is anything more romantic than cuddling with your soulmate in the fading light?
3) Scenic Drives
Incredible all year round but especially breathtaking during the fall season as leaves are transitioning, Fish Creek’s connection to the natural landscape provides several scenic drives to and from other areas of Door County.
- Highway 42 – running from Sturgeon Bay all the way up to the Northport Pier, this well-traveled road winds down through Fish Creek and features stunning scenery along the way – from waterfront vistas to Peninsula State Park’s woodsy eastern border.
- Peninsula State Park – located in Fish Creek’s backyard, this 3,776-acre masterpiece is home to some of the most lovely, leisurely car or bicycle rides in the area. Whether flirting with Tennison and Nicolet Bays or cutting through the densely forested interior, the roads within the park are spectacular.
- County Road F – if you head southeast out of town keeping right onto County F, you’ll cruise through miles and miles of rich agriculture framed by charming wooded areas toward Baileys Harbor. During peak autumn colors, this is a must-do, and if you leave early enough…you get to witness the magic a second time on your return trip.
Uncover Fish Creek Hidden Gems In-Person
Your unique Door County adventure awaits right here in Fish Creek! Explore our wide variety of activities, lodging, dining, and shopping options available, and start planning your getaway.
If you’d like more recommendations, feel free to give our Information Center a call at 920.868.2316 or toll free at 800.577.1880.